Although old houses look beautiful, they don’t come without any problem or fault. If you are aware of all the faults in the piping system of your old house, you can take necessary steps to replace the plumbing system. Here are some common plumbing problems that you’ll come across in the old homes:
- The piping systems of most of the old houses are made of galvanized steel. Now, these galvanized pipes are something to be worried about as the zinc layer covering it erodes eventually as the house grow older. This has its effect on the quality of water also. You may notice the discolouration of water as the iron gets released from the pipes. Besides, you will also notice water leakage because of it. In case of water leakage, you should call an emergency plumber immediately.
- There are also pipes made of cast iron. These also lead to failure as they can cause more damage to the whole piping system as well as to the property. If needed, take help from experienced plumbers to detect damage in pipes.
- As we all know that the earth doesn’t remain still, and there are sudden movements in a response of which the houses also shift a little. And, this causes the shifting of some of the pipes. If a house is too old, the shifting of the pipes is even great cause to be worried about. Because of all these, it becomes difficult for water to pass through the pipelines.
- Your piping system is not only confined to your house, but to the sewer lines as well. If your house is on a sewer line, there are even more chances for your piping system to be crushed. There are many things that interrupt the flow of water inside the sewer lines such as plastic balls, cups, small plants, etc. Also, the sewer lines are shifted for the constant movement of the ground. This creates more problems in the old houses if not determined and fixed. You might see the drains flowing as a result of this, and that exactly is the time when you’ll need to change your piping systems.
- There is another serious problem regarding the piping system of old houses. If the piping system has already been changed recently, there is a chance of having more problems. Sometimes old galvanized pipes are attached to the copper pipes, making the situation even worse.
- The last most common problem is that the pipes of the old houses get discoloured and flaky with the passing decades.
These are the most common plumbing problems in the old houses. But you should never overlook such problems as they may affect your overall property and water. So, it’s better to hire professionals to get these problems solved.